Sunday, November 14, 2010

Finally Broke in my Extruder

I've had this for a couple of months and finally got around to using it this week.

There is something I've been wanting to try for a while - a technique that gives a crackly appearence.

 It's explained in this tutorial (in French):
 http://paroledepate.canalblog.com/archives/lecons_en_images/p110-0.html  It's about 2/3 of the way down the page with the title "ça craque".

Now, I took French in high school and college. And I have to say I don't remember any of it. Somewhere, some place there is an English translation.  And of course I didn't bookmark it.  The pictures tell most of the story anyway.  The one thing I think I remember from the English translation is something about alternating conditioned and un-conditioned clay.

My beads didn't come out as crackly as her's did. I used Premo for these.  My second round, I didn't condition at all and still not as crackly. I'm wondering what kind of polymer clay she is using?  I don't think I could ever get un-conditioned Kato through my extruder.  I'm wondering about trying Fimo with this technique.

I don't have any Fimo, so I guess I'll have to go shopping! Yes, and the  new Hobby Lobby opens tomorrow! I could do a Kennewick craft store crawl (like a pub crawl, but no beer till I get home) - Joannes, Craft Warehouse, Michaels, Hobby Lobby. (Hubby's at work, he will never know - I just don't let him see my blog)

Here is more of her work - again, all in French, but a picture is work a 1000 words: http://domicreative.canalblog.com/
Here is the link for the website where I found the tutorial:
http://paroledepate.canalblog.com/
And one more cool French polymer clay blog:
http://fimotifimota.canalblog.com/

2 comments:

  1. They are really good. I've seen this technique somewhere and planned to try it out sometime. I had to get a small hobby vice to use my extruder as turning it hurt my hands so much. I can't imagine getting dry clay through it!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank-you :) I'm finding I can only do a few of these at a time because it's hard to get the clay through the extruder. My hands are sore from it. I like the idea of a vice, that would sure help!

    ReplyDelete